• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

spinal misalignmnent

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreas

Bluelighter
This thread feels kind of stupid but if a few people would answer it would be very appreciated.I don't know if this belongs here in TDS or in health please feel free to move

My doctor said that drugs can cause misalignment of the spine and said I should lay off the drugs to see if it helps my back( not sure yet),yes it sounds stupid, but wait..one of the side effect of Parkinson's treatment is scoliosis,so it is possible that a drug can move the spine,also recently a friend had a spinal fusion and the surgeon said that he would not operate unless he stop smoking because the nicotine causes a misalignment of the vertebrae.This is not to be narrow minded and say that everyone WILL get this side effect and people that don't do drugs wont have back problems.

can anyone think back and say whether or not they think that drugs have given them back problems...i.e did your back start to hurt one day for no apparent reason...this don't include "I was smashed and fell down the stairs" stuff..is there a dark side to yet to be discovered to having fun in outer space

Nicotine in smoking causes a longer healing process. I'd suggest Artificial Disc Replacement, rather than fusion, because fusion ALWAYS blows the disc above and below, in about 5 years!

I've had spinal problems for 6 years now, and never heard of the misalignment issues. I did have stage 1 scoliosis fixed, with EXERCISE and GENTLE chiro care, to put things back; if they HURT you, they're doing it wrong, and most chiros do it wrong!!

I'd be interested in which drugs causing what sort of misalignment. Also is your Doctor a DC, DO, MD, etc.

As far as back pain, there is a correlation between money problems and back pain. Back pain has a huge psychological component. I'm not saying it is all in our heads, just that it emotions and over all well being play a role. 20 years ago back pain was mostly treated by prescribing bed rest,by MDs anyways. These days it is more 'take it easy as much as you need to but get back to moderate activity as soon as possible and exercise more. Back problems sort of set in and become long term through inactivity.

Misaligned vertebrae by nicotine? Are you talking about subluxation? You know if you show the same x-ray to several chiropractors they will all point out different ares as being subluxations? At least that is what has happened when groups like Consumer Reports have tried to get to the bottom of this subluxation thing, in chiropractic. Most MDs and some chiropractors reject chiropractic's traditional conception of subluxation. Chiropractors have many conflicting views among one another even. I don't want to characterize all chiros as quacks. Be aware though that the differences in chiropractic theory and practice among practitioners is profound and some are very fast and loose most all the 'facts'.

I agree with Enki completely. Chiropractors are known to differ from one to another, and sometimes they can cause more damage over time if they're doing the wrong thing to you rather than do any good. I know my chiropractor's are pretty legit, they took x-rays and told me everything flat out and I've always got positive results when I went. However it's since become too expensive to go since I have to pay $30 every visit, and it got old paying $60+ a week just to get aligned. I wish my insurance was better...

-dp

I've had a curvature of the spine ever since I was a kid. probally from sitting in bad positions all the time. I have to crack my back or twist until it pops every 5-10minutes to make it feel bettter while sitting down at the computer, which is what i'm doing most of the day (8-12 hours a day on the computer/video games).

yeah my back is fucked to got scoli and heaps of other probs to...but what I want to know is if anyone (not involved with government) can say that they noticed back problems after taking drugs for a few years...is this just government shit or is there any truth to it

edit I found this thread in BL archives very similar to this one....sorry all my bad

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-27889.html

Of course drugs can affect your spine. They usually affect your posture highly. People on benzos and opioids and ethanol and cannabis often slouch or hunch way more than they would sober. Or recline in awkward positions, or whatever.

Of course drugs can affect your spine. They usually affect your posture highly. People on benzos and opioids and ethanol and cannabis often slouch or hunch way more than they would sober. Or recline in awkward positions, or whatever.

that is indirect not direct,if someone who took ecstasy had a spinal problem from jumping around at raves you cant blame the drug. If one was to take benzo's and such and consciously sit with good posture would the drugs still affect the vertebrae?

Andreas, I'm not finding any credible info that MDMA causes back problems, as talked about in the referenced thread. Maybe I just don't know where to look, but I am very skeptical. Sounds implausible, but things that seem plausible to me have turned out to be true. I think this thread has more affinity with the Healthy Living forum than the Dark Side, so I'm going to send this over there and see if anyone knows anything helpful. I'm sure post rolling people become more aware of aches and pains because of being serotonin depleted, short on sleep, and having exerted themselves more than usual, but I think it would be wrong to call MDMA a cause. Similarly, any drug that enables you to sleep less and exert yourself past where you'd usually stop due to fatigue is going to have some soreness when you come down. Some people the back will be the most noticeable ache. I think you should ask your Doctor for his source on drugs causing back problems. Until we have an article or other reference everything will be speculation.

The Dark Side-----------------------------------------> Healthy Living

I dont see how drugs can directly affect your spinal alignment.
Perhaps they can cause increased breakdown of the intervertebral discs between the vertebra causing misalignment

Also with Parkinson's, i dont see how it can directly mess with curvature. Parkinson's is a diesase primarily of the motor system causing increased muscule tone. Perhaps by increasing spinal muscle tone asymmetrically it can thereby lock the spin into a specific position. Then continued stress in this unnatural position results in permenant damage and spine misalignment.

Also, i recently read that surgeons over perform spinal perfusions, apparently the insurance kickback is awesome

I dont see how drugs can directly affect your spinal alignment.
Perhaps they can cause increased breakdown of the intervertebral discs between the vertebra causing misalignment

Also with Parkinson's, i dont see how it can directly mess with curvature. Parkinson's is a diesase primarily of the motor system causing increased muscule tone. Perhaps by increasing spinal muscle tone asymmetrically it can thereby lock the spin into a specific position. Then continued stress in this unnatural position results in permenant damage and spine misalignment.

Also, i recently read that surgeons over perform spinal perfusions, apparently the insurance kickback is awesome
Exactly, you are half way touching on the problem!

This thread feels kind of stupid but if a few people would answer it would be very appreciated.I don't know if this belongs here in TDS or in health please feel free to move

My doctor said that drugs can cause misalignment of the spine and said I should lay off the drugs to see if it helps my back( not sure yet),yes it sounds stupid, but wait..one of the side effect of Parkinson's treatment is scoliosis,so it is possible that a drug can move the spine,also recently a friend had a spinal fusion and the surgeon said that he would not operate unless he stop smoking because the nicotine causes a misalignment of the vertebrae.This is not to be narrow minded and say that everyone WILL get this side effect and people that don't do drugs wont have back problems.

can anyone think back and say whether or not they think that drugs have given them back problems...i.e did your back start to hurt one day for no apparent reason...this don't include "I was smashed and fell down the stairs" stuff..is there a dark side to yet to be discovered to having fun in outer space
Yap! Smoking does affect your healing process but also causes huge problems in your system.

And yes, certain drugs, do affect, your neuromascular system. If you have a great chiropractor, who knows what they are doing, are good for that kind of thing, but a chiropractor would be doing their work at the end part of anyone else. Certain physical therapies, will assist to release the contracted overtoned muscles, first, or else the chiro's work won't even reach the problem.
Nerve associations play a huge role, and so do blockers. Look for hyperbaric oxygen therapy, there are where you are situated.

wuts stage 1 scoliosis? i got 45 degree curve and a 60 degree curve and it twists , had surgurey 4 years ago smoked and did alot of drugs and asfar as i know my drug use did noting but slow the healing process aswell as stress me out. shit pain killers r drugs they gave me alot of opiets for pain that i never took lol i hate opiets,mess with my mind too much
my surgon never would admit that scoliosis caused pain - made me sooo mad hmmm i got steel rods in my back and somtimes the pain is soo badd i cant sleep or work well and it always hurts atleast some, but im imageing it? noooo i think he dosnt want to admit im in pain cause it will scew up his record of sucsessful surgeries

^^^Thank you, many doctors have messed up with people's body's by suggesting surgery, without letting them try anything else. The deepest and tiny muscles next to the back bone, are resposnsible for such problems, and need a lot of work to reach those and release the strong hold and contraction which pulls the back bone out of wack, but dr's only believe in their own superior ....incurable cure....surgery and medicate for the added pain for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.